TON farmers in Gokwe are smiling all the way to the bank with their crop being sold for 52 cents per kilogramme up from 49 cents. Addressing cotton farmers in Nyanje area in Gokwe South on Monday, the Minister of State for Midlands Provincial Affairs Mr Owen Ncube said the new cotton price was aimed at making cotton farming viable for the farmers.
“I’m glad to say that the cotton selling prize is at around 52 cents per kg up from 49cents per kg at Cottco. This is a welcome development for you farmers so that you get more money from the crop,” he said.
The minister said Government was also working on providing farmers with packaging bags, which are becoming a challenge.
“I know that you have been complaining because you have cotton packaging bags shortages. However, the Government is going to provide you with the bags so that you take your crop to Cottco,” said Mr Ncube.
In an interview one of the farmers in Nyanje Mr Providence Siyanyenzo said he was grateful that the Government had increased the selling prize and was also willing to provide them with packaging bags.
He said apart from the shortage of packaging bags the cotton selling process was going on well.
“We are happy that the Cottco is currently buying the product at 52 cents per kilogram after the Government increased the selling price for cotton. This year cotton production is expected to be higher than last year because Government provided us with inputs through the Presidential free inputs scheme. Now the Government has promised to give us bags so we are very grateful,” said Mr Siyanyenzo.
Following the rebound last season, output is expected to be significantly higher this year compared to 74 000 tonnes delivered last year, according to the Cotton Producers and Marketers Association (CPMA) secretary Mr Steward Mubonderi.
Zimbabwe’s cotton industry had virtually collapsed when production declined to 28 000 tonnes by 2015, the lowest in more than two decades after farmers abandoned the crop due to low producer prices
Mlalazi School in Gokwe South is moving to the new site.The Mlalazi Old Students Association has
File Photo; MLALAZI Primary School students
planned to build a classroom block at the school’s new site.The plan was announced by a team which attended the school Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the school on Thursday.The association is seeking support from the parents so that they achieve their goal.
‘Takawirirana kuti tisimudze block remaclassroom.Ndihwo urongwa huripo tisingavimbisi rimwe basa kuseri kweirori reblock, zvakare tisingarambi kuti kana mari yatendera tigona kuzoita basa kuseri kweiri”[We are working on the project to build a classroom block for now,but when funds are available we are looking foward to go for another project], read the statement to parents.
The school has been relocated due to erosion as it was built on the Sengwa river bank during the revolutionary struggle in the 1980s.Erosion has threatened the school structures.Mlalazi school serves 10 villages with some children travelling for more than 5km to attend school.So far there is no structure visible at the new site except for bricks and stones which where there for quite a long time.There is also need for a water borehole at the site.
The meeting was attended by the ward councillor Mr Mateta and Member of Parliament Mrs Mhangami who promised a tent donation for Grade 0s. Although the meeting went on well there was scenes of trying to politicise the meeting by some of the former executive committee members who could be heard touting political party names of which the parents pretended as they heard nothing.Elections were held which saw the former students and young parents being put in positions of authority in the school development committee(SDC).
The parents blessed the project by the former students and pledged their support.The Former student are now on the ground to mkobilise the resources so that their dream may come true.They are also calling other school’s ex-studentds to join them.Organisations who are willing to donate towards this project are also welcome.
THERE was drama in Ndangara Village under Chief Chireya in Gokwe, Midlands province when two women allegedly connived to eat body parts they had harvested from a body of their male adult relative at a funeral wake.
The incident occurred last week when the two women whose names could not be immediately established were accused of removing eyes, cheeks and private parts from their deceased relative’s body. Chief Chireya confirmed the incident saying he has since summoned the duo to his traditional court to answer to the allegations.
“I can confirm that we have summoned two women from Ndangara Village to the traditional court after they were accused of harvesting body parts from their relative’s body before eating them.
“It is alleged that the two women were sleeping in the kitchen hut where the body of their deceased relative was kept awaiting burial.
“They ordered fellow relatives to switch off the lights. It is alleged that the two women then removed eyes, cheek and private parts from their relative’s body.
“The matter came to light the following day during body viewing when other relatives discovered that there were some body parts that were missing,” he said.
Chief Chireya said the two women were then implicated since they were the ones who slept in the kitchen hut with the body.
“When I asked the two women they both accused one another of eating the body parts. I have since hired a traditional healer to help the family know what transpired and who exactly is a culprit between the two women,” he said.
In a video seen by Sunday News the two women are seen accusing each other of having played a part in the heinous act.
The seasoned news anchor will be back on our screens again on Monday after taking a bit of time to recharge his batteries.
SABC news anchor Peter Ndoro says he is humbled by the outpouring of support and encouragement he received from members of the public, journalists and politicians after he mistakenly declared on national television earlier this month that President Cyril Ramaphosa had died in Zimbabwe.
He was meant to have referred to the late Morgan Tsvangirai.
Taking to Twitter on Friday morning, Ndoro thanked Ramaphosa for “graciously” accepting his apology. He said he would return to work on Monday.
November 2017 Zimbabwe School Examinations Council (Zimsec) Ordinary Level results were released yesterday and will be ready for collection on Monday, with the examinations board indicating that English Language Paper 1 had better quality results compared to the November 2016 paper.
Zimsec said the pass rate had gone up by five percent. The increase is despite the nullification of English Language Paper 2 examination results by the High Court after it leaked.
Officially announcing the release of the results yesterday, Zimsec board chairman Professor Eddie Mwenje said: “English Language was graded on one paper as ruled by the High Court. The quality of work on the paper showed that the candidates who wrote the paper were of a better quality than those for 2016.”
Prof Mwenje said there was a slight decrease in the pass rate for last year compared to the year 2016.
“In the analysis, candidates are described in two parts, one being ‘school candidates’, the second being the ‘private candidates’. Private candidates are non-formal students who entered for this examination.
“The total number of candidates who sat for the November 2017 O Level examination was 332 473. This is 14.25 percent higher than the November 2016 entry.
“Total candidates who wrote five or more subjects were 189 684 and 49 982 obtained Grade C or better in five or more subjects, yielding a 26.35 percent pass rate. There is a slight decrease on the performance of year 2016 which was 27.92 percent,” he said.
Of the 187 606 school candidates, 162 920 wrote five subjects or more, with 46 755 passing five or more subjects with a Grade C or better. This translates to a pass rate of 28.69 percent compared to 29.96 percent in 2016.
The Diocese of Gokwe recently opened three more missions bringing the number of missions to twenty in 27 years after the diocese’s creation in 1991. Bishop Rudolf Nyandoro commissioned St. Mary’s Nyika, Chevecheve and Mary Queen of Peace and assigned priests to take charge of the three mission stations. The missions were established as a response to
Bishop Rudolf Nyandoro
the ballooning number of Christians in the diocese and to reduce the distance traveled by priests and the laity to the nearest center of worship. St. Mary’s Nyika was created from Sengwa Mission, while St. Mary’s Queen of Peace based at the diocesan Shrine was created from Gwave Mai voRugare and Uganda Martyrs respectively and Chevecheve was born out of Tongwe Mission. The three missions are yet to be officially opened although they are already functional. Parishioners close to these new missions used to walk long distances to attend mass or to receive some spiritual and other services from their old missions. The opening of the three missions has brought some relief to the life of Christians especially the old who could not receive sacraments because of the long distance
President Jacob Zuma has given an undertaking to respond to a formal decision by the ANC’s national executive committee to recall him from office‚ but Zuma is expected to put up a fight.
A source close to the discussions said Zuma’s response is likely to be “controversial”‚ while another added that he will not go quietly. This was after Zuma last night dug in his heels as he rejected a plea by ANC president Cyril Ramaphosa to resign from office.
Zuma said that he would respond in public to an official decision taken by the NEC‚ which should be communicated to him through a formal process‚ sources said.
The ANC’s national executive committee has decided to recall President Jacob Zuma as head of state‚ with no deal and an ultimatum.
11 hours ago
At the time of the meeting‚ there was no firm decision that Zuma should be booted out – only a majority view that he should be recalled.
One source said Ramaphosa personally pleaded with Zuma to leave office but he responded “in no uncertain terms” that he will not resign.
ANC leaders believe that his demeanour last night showed a man who is not ready to relinquish power.
Once Ramaphosa and ANC secretary general Ace Magashule returned to the NEC‚ a debate over a final decision on Zuma’s fate ensued and the decision to recall him was taken around 2am on Tuesday morning.
The meeting undertook to write to Zuma to formally communicate the outcome to him.
Magashule is due to brief the media to give a formal update on Tuesday afternoon.