Woman shot by husband over missing money

A 26-year-old woman from Gokwe is recovering at home after she was allegedly shot on the leg by her husband following a misunderstanding over a missing $600.

Ms Joyce Ngwenya of Mudundu Village under Chief Nemangwe was rushed to hospital after she was allegedly shot by her agitated husband, Tapiwa Manyoka last Wednesday. She was treated and discharged.

Acting police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Ethel Mukwende said she was still to get more details from police in Gokwe.

Chief Nemangwe said the argument that led to the shooting incident arose after part of the money the couple was keeping in the house went missing.

“The information I got was that the couple was keeping a sum of $1 200 in their bedroom hut when the wife discovered that half of it was missing. The two usually do business together which include selling maize and goats. So they had saved cash amounting to $1 200,” said Chief Nemangwe.

He said on the day in question, the wife discovered that $600 was missing and she confronted her husband about it.

“They started pointing fingers and an argument ensued,” said Chief Nemangwe.

He said when the wife threatened to quit the marriage over the missing money, the accused took a gun which he kept in their wardrobe and shot her once on the leg.

“A neighbour rushed to me to report the matter but I told them that it was a police case. The police were alerted leading to Manyoka’s arrest,” said Chief Nemangwe.

Advertisements

Ex-soldier arrested for beheading Gokwe sister

hammer

hammer

Zimbabwe Republic Police have arrested an ex-soldier suspected to have killed four sisters with an axe before burning their bodies in a bedroom hut in Chirima village in Gokwe South.

 

 

 

Midlands acting police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Ethel Mukwende yesterday declined to comment on the issue, saying she was yet to verify the arrest.

Dube allegedly killed the four siblings, Peculiar (4), Princess (13), Preference (15) and Progress (19) in a fit of anger on August 18.

A family spokesperson, Mr Moffat Dlomo, said police arrested Dingilizwe Dube, the son-in-law to the parents of the deceased four girls.

He said police ambushed Dube at his hideout at Queens Mine in Inyathi following a tip-off from members of the public who had read about the cold- blooded killing in The Chronicle.

“Inyathi police station handed him over to Gokwe police and the last time I last heard of him he was in police cells in Gokwe,” said Mr Dlomo.

Family members told The Chronicle that Dube left the army under unclear circumstances around 2008.

They said it was not the first time he had been violent towards his in-laws as he had disembowelled his ex-wife’s brother in South Africa, soon after he left the army.

 

“He stabbed Mr Kopano Gumede and left his intestines hanging in a fight after his ex-wife Nomusa Gumede left him and fled to South Africa. Kopano is Nomusa’s brother. He is lucky to be alive after the incident,” said a family member who preferred anonymity.

The family member said Dube’s present wife, Ms Priviledge Ndlovu’s siblings were killed after she fled from his homestead with their two children.

“He seemed to have deserted his wife of five years when he went to South Africa. His family was literally starving. Dube’s father gave Priviledge sorghum and advised her to brew beer for sale. Dube heard about it and threatened to kill her for disrespecting him,” said the family member.

Ms Ndlovu, the family member said, took her children and fled from the homestead as she knew from past experience how violent her husband could be.

The family member said Dube sent a message to his wife’s family saying he would kill people if they did not tell him where she had gone to.

“He fulfilled his threat when no one responded,” said the family member.

The arrest, villagers said, had brought relief in the area.

“We were all living in fear, especially after hearing that Dube sent a message to his in-laws threatening to kill more people on the day the four siblings were buried,” said a villager who asked not to be named.

“He is an ex-soldier who fought in the DRC and we feared he would use his special training to kill everyone who had spoken against his evil deed at the burial on Wednesday last week.” state media

Armed Robber Carshony Munyamani Shot Self Dead At Tare Business Centre

thumb_COLOURBOX11955963

By Senior reporter
GOKWE-The wanted gun totting robber who had terrorized the Gokwe area, has shot himself dead in a foiled robbery attempt.
Carshony Munyamani (40) of Matanga village, Nemangwe in Gokwe south who robbed a shop in Lusulu in Binga on August 29 last year of $3500 and was on wanted list by Matebeleland North police. On March 29 this year Munyamani robbed another business at Manoti Business Centre of $2500.Police appealed to the public for assistance on hunting this criminal last week. Acting provincial spokesperson for Matebeleland North Sergeant Namatirai Mashona appealed to members of the public who may know about his whereabouts to notify the police but warned the public as he is brandishing the gun and he is dangerous.
On Thursday last week he went to Tare Business center in Gokwe South where farmers were selling their cattle to Mr Luke Gilmour (30) of Castle Farm. It is reported that about 40 farmers were queuing to get their payments from Mr Gilmour’s car. Munyamani came from the bush with a pistol in his hand, he fired two warning shots and ordered everyone to lie down. When they complied he snatched a satchel which had $15000 in it. He ran away with it still firing in the air also fired six shots at driver’s door of Gilmour’s car.
The one Mrs Kufakunesu who refused to lie down encouraged villagers to chase after him and they complied. Villagers surrounded him, he dropped the bag before shooting himself on the left side of the head. Acting Midlands’s police spokesperson, Assistant Inspector Ethel Mukwende confirmed the incident but didn’t give details and she referred the media to National police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba who could not be contacted for comment.

Wadyajena driver jailed for theft

Richard Mahlangu, who was the driver to Gokwe Nembudziya legislator, Cde Justice Mayor Wadyadyena, has been sentenced to effective two years in prison for theft.
Mahlangu was found guilty of stealing US$40 000 from Cde Wadyajena’s vehicle.

He was initially slapped with four years and one year was suspended on condition of good behaviour, while the other year was suspended on condition he pays back US$7300.

It has been established that Mahlangu broke into the vehicle and misrepresented to the police that unknown people broke into the car.

He later pleaded guilty to the charges.

Chief Mkoka man axes father,guilty of murder

A 31-YEAR-OLD mentally challenged man from Gokwe, who struck his father to death with an axe, was yesterday found not guilty of murder on the grounds of insanity.

Obey Mutero of Village Mutero, Chief Mkoka, Gokwe South went to a bedroom hut where his father was sleeping.

Once inside the hut, Mutero struck his 63-year-old father with an axe on the head and hand before leaving.

His mother, Lina Mpofu, heard her husband screaming and when she went to enquire, she found him lying in a pool of blood.

High Court judge Justice Lawrence Kamocha considered Mutero’s mental state before delivering a sentence of not guilty by reason of insanity and said accused would be committed to Mlondolozi Mental Prison.

The State’s case was that on August 4 and at around 3am, the accused proceeded to a hut where his father was sleeping, armed with an axe. He struck his father once on the head and left hand with the axe before going away.

The deceased was discovered lying unconsciously in a pool of blood by his wife, who made arrangements to transport him to hospital.
He, however, died upon arrival at Gokwe District Hospital.

Baba Jukwa suspect threatens Chihuri

Edmund Kudzayi

The Sunday Mail editor, Edmund Kudzayi, facing charges of attempting to subvert a constitutionally elected government, has written to Police Commissioner-General Augustine Chihuri demanding the speeding up of investigations, failure to which will result in legal action.

Through his lawyer, Admire Rubaya of Rubaya and Chatambudza Law Firm, Kudzayi who has been linked to the shadowy Face Book character Baba Jukwa, accused the police of buying time and of not having carried out proper investigations prior to arresting him.

In a letter written on January 12, which was copied to Prosecutor-General Johannes Tomana and Justice minister Emmerson Mnangagwa, Kudzayi accused the state of employing delaying tactics in his trial.

“It is common cause that our client was arrested in June 2014, where the state claimed it had ample evidence and would be ready for trial by July of the same year. Seven months have since passed,” said Rubaya.

“In the intervening period, our client has made a number of applications for further refusal of remand which have been opposed by the state on the basis of supposed extra territorial investigations which the state now claims is fundamental to the progress of the case.

“During an application for variation of bail conditions before the High Court, it became apparent that the responsible police officer, Assistant Commissioner Crispen Makedenge had made little progress apart from making a request for mutual legal assistance which was only done on October 3 2014.

“It was indicated in court that the American justice department had acknowledged receipt of the request and committed to respond within 60 days. The period in which the response was promised has since elapsed.”

Rubaya said his client would take legal action if he discovers that police were misleading the courts.

“We wish to put it on record that we will be taking appropriate legal actions if it later becomes apparent that the police were furnished with a response (perhaps unfavourable), but willfully misled the court at our last court appearance by claiming otherwise,” he said.

Rubaya said he doubted whether investigating officer Makedenge had travelled to the United States to carry out investigations.

Last year, Makedenge reportedly travelled to the US to meet with Google officials as part of his investigations.

“We have reason to believe that he (Makedenge) did not travel to America. If it is later proven that he was not part of the team that travelled, we will be taking appropriate  legal action.

In addition, this will raise serious questions about the motives of the police in misleading the nation about this important case,” said Rubaya.

Kudzayi was arrested following claims that he was linked to the shadowy Facebook character Baba Jukwa.

He is facing charges of attempting to subvert a constitutionally-elected government, banditry, insurgency and demeaning the office of the president and is jointly charged with his brother

Phillip.

Relief for Mayor

Nembu

 GOKWE-NEMBUDZIYA MP Justice Mayor Wadyajena (Zanu PF), whose $1 500 maintenance order was last year quashed by the High Court, yesterday breathed a sigh of relief after the figure was revised downwards to $450 per month.

 

Harare magistrate Tafadzwa Muvhami, however, warned the legislator that neglecting and failing to maintain his 10-year-old daughter child was in violation of the Maintenance Act.

The court ruled that Wadyajena’s former lover Wadzanai Mudare would cater for the child’s rent and transport to school since she had refused to let the child stay with her father.

During the last court hearing, Mudare accused Wadyajena of placing more value on his campaign billboard where he was paying $500 every month at the expense of his daughter’s upkeep where he offered to pay $200 per month. In October last year, Mudare filed an $11 600 maintenance claim against the MP.

But, Wadyajena urged the court to dismiss the claim arguing it was outrageous, “unfavourable and unsustainable” and offered to pay $200.